Tuesday, April 04, 2006

In The Scheme Of Things?....It Was SO Small

Once in awhile in the corporate world, you come across something that isn't entirely corporate, is a little more human, a little more family, and it brings you back to the realization that we are all in this boat called LIFE together. I had one of those things the other day.

There have been signs, and emails, and bulletin board notifications for Bake Sales, and Raffles, and Garage Sales for a young daughter of a colleague of ours based in Romania.

The little one has a common and very treatable form of leukemia, but because they reside in Romania with socialized medicine (not that there's anything wrong with that) they felt they might find better treatment elsewhere. Elsewhere turned out to be Germany, which also has socialized medicine - but only if you're a native/resident. So now they're in Germany, with good treatment options but no free treatment and no insurance. Meaning - They have to cough up all that cash themselves. Let alone the fact that they relocated thier family from one country to another.

So that's the reason for the various fundraising events here stateside. I hear we've gotten a few thousand so far.

I kept seeing one old friend/acquaintence's name associated. I knew there must be some story there or relationship I didn't know about, but didn't take the time to really think about it or find out.

Late in the afternoon on Friday, L and I were headed out for Happy Hour Drinks with another friend who is departing the company. Old friend whose name I kept seeing associated (let's call him C for ease) walked down the aisle just as we were about to head out. L commented that we'd visited the Bake Sale. She got Key Lime Pie and I got some kick butt Baklava. This prompted a short visit with C.

Now granted, when I was in the midst of Nemo? L was one of my ROCKS. A great supporter and listener and doer. I couldn't have asked for better.

And also granted, this day L was a little under the weather. AKA - Hungover and just about ready for some hair of the dog.

But....I stood and chatted with C. Turns out, the little one is his God Child. He's been an instrument in a lot of the fund raising and has been very involved in the whole journey.

So I stood and asked questions and more questions and comments. We related how good it is to realize that people really DO care. Even though your jaded self has become pretty sure they don't. Yeah - We stood and talked for maybe 20 minutes.

And as I talked, I saw L's faces, and heard her sighs, and saw her shifting from foot to foot, and definitely noticed the "COME ON LET'S GO" eye rolls. But I ignored. And I stood and I talked.

As we walked away she derided: "Trix! WHAT were you thinking? I was so ready to get out of there and you wasted 20 minutes!"

Trix in reply: "Not wasted. It was what he wanted and needed. There's no waste involved with that."

So I was 20 minutes late to an after work event? So I maybe had one less drink? So? SO? 20 minutes for an old friend? Heck - just for another human being who wanted validation and sharing and caring? 20 MINUTES? If I had any mathematical abilities whatsoever, I'd turn that into a fraction or a percentage of my life. And it would be so miniscule and ridiculous it would be laughable.

Yep -- I took 20 minutes. And I can tell you...He walked away with a smile on his face and feeling a little bit better about humankind. Well worth it to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home