Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Nikelodean

Today is a sappy entry...So if you're in for witty....Move on.

You've met my mom & my bro so far....Now time for my sis. I'll do one on my dad sometime...Although I don't have a ton of memories.

But Sis. She's 7 years younger and definitely usurped my whole 'baby of the family' title. It stung a bit. But the sting was easily overtaken by this new baby toy I call Sister.

She was the best toy I could have ever been given. I was amazed by her. I would just stand by her bed and gaze at her. I can remember putting my ear to her tiny baby chest to listen to her breathe. I was 7 and wanted to change her diaper. I used to touch her eyelids to feel her eyes move beneath them. I was just in awe.

To this day, she still awes me. She is my mother incarnate. She has no temper. Nothing phases her. Nothing riles her. There are no huge ups...No huge downs. Life just goes on and she smiles and watches it.

The bitch is my exact same height...But when we stand back to back...Her ass lands right in the small of my back - Meaning she has legs til next year...While I have stumps. And up til the last few years she's always weighed significantly less than me. (Weight loss on my part and baby weight on her part have just about evened us out...I'd say she still probably wins. Bitch.) And she is petite. Isty bitsy. Her hands are an entire knuckle shorter than mine & almost kid sized.

She was recently on bedrest for 6 months while pregnant with niece number two. I think I saw her get cranky once. It was a bit shocking....Hadn't witnessed emotions like those from her. Thank God they exist. She might be human.

Best part about me & sis is - We DEFINE silly. We can out-silly anyone I know in the silly category. Take it from me...I am NOT a touchy-feely person. But I cannot keep my hands off her. We have this thing...Where we grab each other by the face, touch noses and say "Eeew!". We just do...Can't explain...But it embarrasses the hell out of my mother. Once, in the middle of the Biltmore in Ashville, NC...We had a 'grab face, touch nose, Ew moment'....We just did. And this man looked at us like we had 13 heads collectively. Mom gave us a "You guys!!! What are you DOING?" Us - "Uh, mom....We look almost like twins. He's gotta know we're not lesbians." I mean...Who else BUT your sister can you do a 'grab face, touch nose, Ew moment' in the middle of the Biltmore with, fer Mike's sake?!?!?

You've figured out I am a mush ball about my family....But she is just aaaaawwwesome. She's a teacher...Which I tried for a bit...But just couldn't quite get it. Then she tells me about this exercise she did with her kids...Learning about the Mayflower. Looked up all the dimensions of the Mayflower (shockingly small) on the internet and took the kids out on the playground. Had them draw out the exact dimensions...And then all get inside there. To show them how really dinky and squished that trip across the ocean was. "Uhhhhhh - N? How did you come up with that??" "Don't know...Just did."

Wow....She's just WOW. One big, huge, gigantic WOW. Like - You can't look at her and think God doesn't exist. Some great power had something to do with making her. JUST WOW - And has been from the moment I layed eyes on her 33 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home