Tuesday, September 13, 2005

This Thing Called Prayer

On a questionnaire, I'd classify myself as "spiritual but not religious". If asked to specify a religion, it would be "liberal Protestant". When taking tests on http://www.beliefnet.org, I end up Reform Judiasm or Unitarian. So, I'm pretty much all over the board.

The Church Of Trixie - That's what I espouse.

But events of late have me wondering:

  • Friend, B, asks me if I want to be added to the work prayer list. Sure - Why not? - Can't hurt.
  • Few weeks later, receive a "Good Wishes" card from a work guy I barely know. I think he parks on my parking garage level. And we occasionally smile "good morning". But that's our interaction. Yet I get a card from his family and promises for prayers.
  • Cousin, M, has added me to his church prayer list.
  • Other friend, B, has added me to his church prayer list.
  • Other friend, B, has had friend, C, add me to her prayer list.
  • Mom's minister is going on a retreat and taking a speacial prayer list. I'm on it.
  • Family friend, L, who is the son-in-law of I, both whom I LOVE LOVE LOVE - has me on his prayer list.
  • Bro-in-law has me on his Bible Study prayer list.
  • And finally, and most extrordinarily - Ex-boyfriend, Scott Fitzgerald's (I dare ya to try and Google that one) wife stopped my mother in church to ask if that was "Trixie your daughter" on in the church bulletin prayer list. When told yes, wife and Scott said, tell her we're sending our prayers.

This praying thing is amazing. I'll admit - I do it. I never know if I'm doing it right or if it will work. But I don't really care. I figure talking to the Big Man, whether or not there is, indeed, a Big Man, can't be a bad thing.

Kind of like throwing pennies in a fountain. Not at all sure it works. Have no empirical evidence to tell me it does. But I am sure as shit throwing in a penny and making a wish every time I pass a fountain.

So please keep up with those prayers, pennies in fountains, salt over shoulders, no black cats, garlic around your neck, upside down horseshoes, rabbit's feet. Sure, I'll take it all. But I have to say - I do believe in the prayer thing more than anything. (Please, please God, let it work.)

1 Comments:

Blogger pattygal said...

this thing called prayer, i just cant handle it... i aint ready...crazy little thing called prayer...

:-) love ya.

10:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home