Monday, January 31, 2005

An Eve At David's Bridal

I wasn't 200% sold on the idea of wedding dress shopping...But I knew how much it would mean to her if I went. I also knew that her mom wanted to get to know me a little better, and it seemed like the perfect time. I didn't know her sister, who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and scheduled for a double mastectomy, would be there. Or that their long time family friend would join. Now - I'm so happy events unfolded just like they did.

You see - To me it wasn't a night of bridal shopping and dinner. It was one giant reminder of how important friends, family, laughter, health, and mostly love are to us lowly beings calls humans. It was a great female bonding experience.

We joked about the cancer...And that A pretty much gets a trump card to do whatever she wants for several months. When I told K I didn't like the dress A had picked...K's response = "Be nice to her...She has cancer."

We talked about those unexpected things that come from the kindness of strangers. Like the unexpected basket of flowers A got from a little known neighbor. Reminding us all not so much how much the kindness of strangers means...But how much it means to be a kind stranger.

We discussed difficult things...Like what and how much you tell your co-workers.

We admitted it is ok to melt down; everyone does sooner or later. And it is ok to cry. They're trying so hard to be rocks and I admire each of them for it.

K tried on two bazillion fabulous wedding dresses...Waiting for the one that said "BRIDE" and decided that might not always happen. We're now creating the shortlist.

Oh and that poor ugly bride in the room next to us. And the somewhat large one giving such a valiant effort to convince herself strapless is ok. (Honey - Sorry. It isn't.)

So girls...Thanks for letting me share a night that was a reminder of what girl bonding, friend bonding, and family bonding is. It may have been a normal night for you...But remember my family is far away. What I would give to be you. It was a giant love fest for me.

I cried when I got in my car. Cause I'm so happy for K and so devastated for A......And so very sad they are coming at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home