Thursday, January 06, 2005

Who Knew?

Well....Maybe I did.

I took a test today at www.beliefnet.com. It asks you a series of questions on your spiritual beliefs, and then spits out what religion you are - Or should be....Whether you know it or not. Turns out -- I should be practicing Reform Judiasm. I've always suspected I was Jewish hiding inside a Protestant girl's body. Now it is confirmed.

I think it is the whole Jesus thing that does it (or doesn't) for me. (See my post below.) I believe he existed. I even believe God sent him to earth. My reasons why are different though. The Jews just believed....They didn't need any proof..Which I guess is what makes them the 'chosen'. Talk about faith -- There ya have it. But the rest of us needed proof. And humans are so self centered...The only proof that would work was something just like us...Which means it had to be in human form. So this guy came to earth, performed a bunch of miracles, lived like a saint, and convinced a hell of a lot of us (pun intended) that there is a God. It worked. I believe he is/was very holy and more godly than any of us. But it just doesn't matter to me whether he is the "Son of God"...It doesn't matter if Mary was a virgin. And that whole Trinity thing - The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost - that REALLY freaks me out. What the f is a "Holy Ghost"?? Sounds like someone that Ebenezer Scrooge met.

So now I come to -- Who is the head dude? Jesus? Or God?Obviously, my previous paragraph gives a little insight my opinion. It's God. I pray to God. Jesus is just kind of an extra...A stand in if God needs one. Once Jesus came along, God just got demoted?? What's with that? God is God. (I almost just came up with the worst analogy in history...Having to do with John Ashcroft and W. Don't ask...I despise them both. Backspace backspace erase erase erase!)

So anyway -- beliefnet also thought I was very much a Liberal Quaker, a Unitarian Universalist, a Neo-Pagan (what's neo about it? Does that mean I worship new hybrid trees?), and eighth on the list was Liberal Protestant...Which is what I would call myself on paper.

It all just brings me back to the fact that we're all the same...Just different labels. Something we should realize across the board. Black/white, buddhist/Catholic, Republican/Democrat (you KNOW what a stretch that was for me), male/female. In the wise words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

Love you - Mean it - RJP


1 Comments:

Blogger pattygal said...

So I could spend some time commenting on the father, son, holy ghost since my background in catholocism makes me tres-qualified to do so. But what the hell, it makes no sense and I don't believe it anyway.

I am a neo-pagan. But I refuse to eat that weird cross between broccoli and asparagus.

12:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home