Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Life....Really....That's It....

A lot of thoughts to try to put together into one cohesive post here....

Talked to friend, LON , the other day. Still alcoholic. Still barely coherent. Still hard to have a conversation with. At times, can't finish sentences and thoughts. I think it has started to effect his mind even when he isn't drinking. I don't know what to do with it. I take the call and feel like an enabler. I don't take the call and feel like I'm deserting him. No good answers here, friends.

I tried to impart a little bit of wisdom my years on this planet and Nemo have given me. I'd like to think it meant something.

LON - Hardly making sense goes to hang up. And laments the world's woes...But gives one last effort to be sure I am doing ok. Very sweet. And my conversation back:

Me - LON. Do you remember a few months back you told me I was going to go through something remarkable?

He - No, Trix. Don't remember that.

Me - Well, LON. You did. And it made an impression. To the point that I repeated it to my Sr VP this week.

He - ?

Me - Let me tell you.

SVP - Trix. Tell me about your experience. What was the worst thing?

Trix - The waiting. Waiting for it sucked. Really made me wonder how people with terminal illnesses go on day to day.

SVP - (Thoughtful head nodding.) And what was the best?

Trix - Perspective.

SVP - ???? You mean....Just life?

Trix - Yep. JUST LIFE. Life and the people you care about and care about you? ALL THAT MATTERS.

SVP - Yes, exactly. The rest is just window dressing.

So LON....If you can rememeber that? And if all of you reading that can help me and help LON remember that? Just life..........It is ALL that matters.

1 Comments:

Blogger ATL_eagle said...

Was this the new guy or the old guy (who is now the big guy)? I am glad to hear one of them asked you.

8:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home