Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I Cried Tonight

I'm not sure I can make you understand or want you to have to understand, for that matter - But growing up with a sick parent, in a sick household, and having that parent die, and having those three children grow up together which bonds you in a way you probably don't know exists? Is good - but sucks.

I talked to Bro and Mo today, and we talked about a strange bond. One of my Dad's Old Boy Scout's Wife died. But this Dad's Old Boy Scout's Guy was a really special Guy. Really special. Like - I can remember exactly where he sat in church. And I can remember exactly where he sat at Boy Scout Dinners. He always had a really proud demeanor. When he came to help Dad, he STILL had that proud demeanor. (Both for Dad and for him.) And nodded in this very professional way.

But saddest of all - He carried my Dad, when Dad couldn't walk, up the hill at Boy Scout Camp. Yeah - He did. Makes me weep still. A harrowing sight.

And, more touching still?, - He walked Dad back down the aisle - going the other way. To that good place. In his "coots" (N's word) and in his Eagle Scout Regalia. Still makes me proud. Still makes me cry.

This guy doesn't seem old to me, remains part of my dad, and has lost his wife. Sad. A sad I can't describe. Made my Mom sad too. Guess this is part of being old.......

S-bro will get this. (I didn't know when I talked to you. And I'm not quite sure why it makes me so sad.) Love you. -R. Whoowie! Sad one here!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had talked to Mom about it but I just didn't think to talk to you about it.

The gentleman you are talking about is a man among men. Leader among leaders. Just a gem.

All of those guys who helped when Dad was sick were truly wonderful. I think that is the type of thing that God wants us to do for one another, but we've got to be very, very strong and have lots of support to do it.

Dad loved Boy Scouts so much. I don't think he came to Scout camp so much to see me, he came to hang out with the other guys. And yes, I remember when they would help him down the trail. Tough, but what love those guys showed for the fellow buddy.

It shouldn't be sad. It makes me tear just a bit, but it doesn't make me sad. I love those guys.

6:05 PM

 
Blogger pattygal said...

how beautiful. i understand the sad/ I understand the S-bro's pride. Mostly I envy your family bond. I love you guys.

11:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home