Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Mostly Relaxation In-a-tube

I had an MRI today. Everyone warned me about how claustrophobic I'd be. That I should insist on the open MRI. That I should request Valium ahead of time. To do deep breathing exercises. And, most importantly, don't look around inside the tube.

And, yeah, I'm a big pussy. If it is a scary medical procedure, chances are high I'm going to freak out.

But this one? I do not get. What's the problem with laying on your back for an hour? Yeah - My head was in a football helmet thingy. But that prevented movement. And yeah - I was in a tube about twice my size. But there was plenty of room. I just laid. And daydreamt. And thought of my happy places. (Not sharing where those are.)

The most frightening part was the stick in the arm for the 'controlling liquid'. Not even sure what that was. Couldn't find a vein at first, which stressed me out a bit. But then just an eensy stick.

Root canals? SUCK. Pap smears? Really not too fun. Dentist appointments? Scary at best. Even the swabby strep tests? Not so fun.

But laying in a nice, cool, quiet space with no one to bother you? No cell phones? No computer? No voicemail? No VPs? No attorneys? No customers?

GIVE ME THIS MRI THING EVERY DAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home