Tuesday, August 02, 2005

It Feels Like A Smile

I told you about my dad sending me snowbows. I thought, at the time, I had explained the phenomena thoroughly. But now I realize I only told you about that one snowbow. I didn't tell you that my dad regularly sends me rainbows.

Ok - So we all see rainbows. And when I see one, others in my near proximity see them too. But, I swear, they're for me. Or - If they're not just for me? They're at least meant to remind me that my dad is smiling and thinking of me.

They always come at the simplest moments. When I'm standing on my back porch shaking out my bathroom rug. When I'm waiting on the valet to bring my car after dinner. When I'm walking through the Publix parking lot. And every time, I stop and stare and think of my dad and tear up.

This weekend my mom, sis, and niece came to town for a visit. We had a good girl weekend doing good girl things. Like shopping and eating and playing games and watching movies. Sunday evening we spent with friend, K, and her niece and sister's niece. We all went to Chucky Cheese (HOLY headache) and out for ice cream after. The ice cream joint is one of those outside, kiosk type places. Walk up, put in your order, get it through the window, and snarf down cone in parking lot.

So we're all snarfing our confection. And K's sister's niece, Carolita, says: "Look! A rainbow!" Indeed!....A rainbow! So, I continue eating cone, start tearing up, shuffle around trying to avoid everyone, try to not make eye contact, and stare at the rainbow (cause then no one will see me). Of course......dad is sending it to me. Of course......he's smiling. Four of his five girls are all together and sharing a great, girly moment. It doesn't happen all that often, and it certainly doesn't happen when a rainbow can be witnessed. So he picked that moment to send it. Who wouldn't smile at that moment?

More shuffling and avoiding eye contact and tearing up. Then Carolita nails me. Catches me eye-to-eye. She looks quizzically at me, wonders what to say for a minute, and stays silent for just an instant. Then, she gives me a big, beautiful, bracey, toothy smile....And says: "It feels like a smile - Doesn't it?"

YUP! It does. It feels just like a smile. My dad's smile.

1 Comments:

Blogger pattygal said...

ohhh that's so sweet. carolita is a genius.

10:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home