Tuesday, November 15, 2005

How To NOT Market

At a not-to-be-named-here, chain dining establishment this evening they advertised "Flight Night". Three small glasses of "surprise" wines (a flight) for a set price. These wines promised to be (sec) "red or white, unfamiliar or standard, and sexy or prunish."

PRUNISH? PRUNISH?? Is that a word?

Not PRUDISH? Maybe they meant prudish. Sexy or prudish I understand.

I thought maybe I was just lacking in my linguistic repretoire. But "prunish" is not a word, according to Merriam Webster.

What? As in "to taste like a prune"???? Is this something you want in a wine? Grapes - Yes. Plums - Perhaps. Any assortment of fruit I can think of - Maybe.

But SEXY and PRUNISH? Together in the same marketing phrase? Uh....NO!!

How to make me feel old? Bring up prunes.

How many marketing execs did that copy have to make it through?? Try again folks at H(*&^%$$#!s.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to blogging - I've missed reading your blogs!!! I am still cracking up that sooo many people had to have proofed this text and NO ONE caught it! I think we should tell them and see if we get drinks for free!

1:14 AM

 
Blogger pattygal said...

I can't believe Houston's made that mistake! Errr... I mean, unnamed local establishment!

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Trixie said...

Good guess! But this H has one more syllable. (Not somewhere I frequent either. Especially not using made up words like PRUNISH.)

3:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home