Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Another One of Those Cheesy Cliches - Proven

Man - When they say it is the little things in life that count, THEY MEAN IT.

There is this chick two cubes down who has historically been known as mean. We didn't cross paths for many years and I always managed to stay on the good side. Until that one day.....I had had it...And we went head to head. Ever since? MEAN. And I mean MEAN. As in, go out of her way to be mean MEAN. As in, sometimes walk down the row the opposite and inconvinient way to avoid her meanness MEAN. As in, praying to god/buddha/allah or anyone else who will listen that I can find someone else to answer my question MEAN.

Because we are in close physical proximity, I do hear some of the details of her life. And her dad has very recently died. The funeral is this week. And, yeah, of course I feel bad. I'm not THAT big of a B. And her mom is having some issues that might be the big A on its way. And, yeah, of course I feel worse.

So I was walking down the row yesterday, and she was in her chair, on her cell phone, and in tears. I didn't stop walking, but reached out and put one finger on her shoulder. Yes, just one finger...not the whole hand...I had my phone in my hand...that's my excuse. Didn't say a word and just kept going. Didn't put much more thought into it.

So today? NICE. I mean NICE. As in, she has to ask me for something and requests it nicely and is nice when I ask how she'd like it delivered NICE. As in, she later says "Sorry - I forgot to say thank you." NICE.

One finger. That is it. So there ya go folks. Extend a finger more often! (NOT THAT ONE!)

2 Comments:

Blogger pattygal said...

wow... i know her. she is MEAN. maybe the kind touch of someone she knows she treats poorly meant even more than kindness from a friend. except i'm not sure she has any... which is sad, too.

funny how evn the most crusty exteriors can be cracked by life.

2:47 PM

 
Blogger pattygal said...

OHHHH and OF COURSE IT WAS HIM!

3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home